Tuesday, August 7, 2012

To Supplement or Not.....



As I work with people to get to a better, healthier body and life; I find that most people are really trying to do just about anything to get the slimmed toned body.
One of the things I find many do is supplements. These are anything from the most expensive designer type protein shakes and powders to the low cost multivitamins at a discount store.

Most people that know me as an herbalist know I do recommend using the company’s products I work with that they provide. And although I am a distributer don’t have any problem with other quality supplements. The problem I do have is that I don’t know which ones are best without study. The misinformation, even blatant lying of these companies makes my head want to explode!

So what’s the big deal? Why do I care whether someone wastes their money on worthless products? It’s when I see someone taking these supplements I realize something that they don’t. Supplements can harm!

I know, I know, I’m always telling people that most supplements don’t usually cause injury. But I am talking about the company I know and trust. I’m talking about them using supplements I’ve suggested with the knowledge that I provide in a session. The truth is; some supplements can harm. No, most don’t cause serious issues but there are a list of supplements that I will absolutely have issue with.

One of the first on my list is the plain old multi-vitamin. Found in just about every store that sells food or prescriptions; the infamous multi-vitamin at first glance would seem to be the perfect thing to supplement the less than stellar American diet. But even the glossy box and nutrient label that swears to have over 100% of all the needed vitamins and minerals in a day; are less than helpful to the average person.
 And truth be told; many have too much of some nutrients and less than absorbable quality ingredients. Almost all the cheaper ones are mostly filler. So what’s the big deal with this? Look to some of the side effects of the following culprits.

Calcium has to be one of the worst for me; not only because so many are taking it; but because the wrong calcium can actually cause serious harm! 
To understand how calcium can cause issue we first have to understand how the body works. When you digest food and it goes into the stomach, the body has to break it down into manageable pieces, which is what hydrochloric acid does. Then food enzymes carry those nutrients to the parts of the body that need them. However when the body receives a food or nutrient that they cannot utilize, such as a form of calcium that is not digestible for the body; then it will actually pull calcium out of bones and other tissues to make an enzyme to cart it off. It will go to the brain, liver, and kidneys; sometimes ending up in arteries. This leads to heart disease, kidney death and even dementia! Ever notice those commercials for catheters? I’ve lived long enough to know that this is a new phenomenon.  And worse; it’s our women that are having the brunt of the problem because doctors are prescribing this poison to all women in the mistaken idea that calcium makes strong bones. It can but it’s a lot more complicated than drinking a glass of milk or popping a pill. And with the wrong calcium we now have a virtual epidemic of women whose kidneys have stopped working properly!

Another horrific supplement I find is the metabolic accelerator. These supplements “rev up” the body’s fat burning systems and make the person feel energized and healthy. This could not be farther from the truth. These accelerators are merely  acting much like caffeine on the body; forcing the “flight or fight” syndrome of the adrenals to work harder, included in that acceleration on the the heart and nervous system. This wreaks havoc on the body; causing adrenal fatigue, heart disease (even a heart attack or stroke!) in young people trying to emulate the Hollywood idea of healthy.
I could go on and on about the dangers of the wrong supplement but I find that if you can get to an alternative healer; go to a reputable health food store; this does NOT mean GNC or Vitamin Cottage, you can usually find some quality ingredients.


But before you start popping a capsule; before you start swallowing a vitamin remember this…… Food is the best source of help for health. God intended us to utilize what He provided and is the very best for our Mind, Body and Spirit!

1 comment:

  1. I take supplements but I really look at the source and company that provides them. Onnit Labs has a good message and high quality ingredients. I know that many calcium in mutlivits is sourced from eggshell, the shell contains calcium but is undigestable so you might as well be swallowing rocks lol

    ReplyDelete