Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sanctuary


As I look back to when I was a young mom; one thing that always stands out is how tired and hassled I always felt. I was a busy person before I had two wonderful kids; I was manically busy afterwards. With helping my husband with farming, feeding hired men and the family; gardening, crafting and caring for elderly family members; I had a full load.

But one thing I always managed to do was take some time for myself. I learned early on that a grumpy Kim was no good to anyone and snapping at your kids was not the answer to the problem that ailed me…..I needed some quiet time.
It’s funny but we always seem to know that when our kids are having a meltdown from too much stimulation, too little sleep; they need a “time out” in the form of a nap or just a quiet space like their rooms. So why do we have such a hard time understanding that with ourselves?!

Meditating is a great way to help the body to get back into balance; helps the brain to function and lowers blood pressure as well as boosting the immune system. By meditating I don’t mean necessarily sitting on the floor, cross legged, humming a mindless tune. I mean taking a quiet spot and making it your sanctuary. This can be a place in your bedroom, your living room, even a garden shed! Just find a spot where people are not traipsing through and get a good book or a piece of needlepoint and spend some quality time letting your mind flow freely, away from chores.

When I was a new mother for the first time I had a very colicky sick child. Kristin was crying almost nonstop for the first nine months after she was born. She slept almost not at all; which meant that I didn’t either. But when I put her down at eleven o’clock in the evening; I would pick up the crosstitch piece that I was working on and be at it until one a.m. when she woke again. My husband knew I was exhausted and asked me why I would do this; totally flabbergasted at my behavior. I replied  "I need time to unwind”….and I did. It worked wonders on my attitude and although I got even less sleep; found it centered me to the point that I could function much better during the day.

As the kids got older; I found that summer was a terrible time to try to find any solace in the house with them being underfoot. So I would rise from bed before the dawn and have a quiet cup of tea and head out to the garden until hungry kids would urge me to come make breakfast. I even taught my littlest one to come out to the garden patch if he couldn’t find me. I can’t tell you how many times Casey would be seen; sleeper jammies on, dragging blankie and sucking his thumb; wanting his morning oatmeal. I even learned that organic gardening was imperative with him stuffing himself with strawberry’s while there.

So today on this fine Sunday morning I want you to walk around your place; pick a quiet nook and just sit for a few minutes. Close your eyes and let your mind take you to places beyond the dirty dishes; beyond the screaming kids.

This place of sanctuary is yours. And it will become your best friend if you let it.

No comments:

Post a Comment