Friday, November 19, 2010

Saving a little bit of Summer

Today is herb drying day. I love this time of year because the crops are almost done and the garden is about finished. But my pantry is full and the only thing left to “put up” is herbs.

The smell in the kitchen is wafting throughout the house as I dry peppers and herbs to store and use this winter. This is an important part of my organic gardening. I have tried freezing the herbs but this doesn’t seem to work well as they need to be blanched to stop the enzyme process. This is not a good thing to keep the volatile oils active in these all important herbs.

Right now I’m drying rosemary and then it will be on to garlic and regular chives. I couldn’t get the caterpillars to leave my cilantro alone so I have  none of that this year but the chives are marvelous. You can use these herbs just as you would store bought; but the difference is phenomenal! I adore fresh and freshly dried herbs in almost everything. From cooking chicken with rosemary and garlic to throwing a sprig of dried lavender into the bath before dipping in; herbs are an important part of my life.

So many ask; why do this? Why go to all the trouble of drying and storing your own herbs? It’s a simple answer. Chemicals and preservatives are the bane of our health in society. The hidden amounts of these man made dangers hold untold health problems that can be as simple as a headache to cancer in the long run. I find that if I can eliminate as many of those hidden dangers in my life; I feel much better! And I know that in the scheme of things; I will be a healthy individual as well as my family.

To dry herbs pick in the early morning the best and freshest herbs you have on hand. It’s very important to note that you will need to be sure they have not been sprayed with anything or have any exposure to chemical fertilizers. This will not only change the taste but can cause health issues.

Next wash thoroughly all dirt and debris off the plant pieces. If they are long stems like chives; wash well and lay on a paper towel in a single layer.
Next chop the herb up if it’s something like chives into little bits that are easy to sprinkle. If it’s a rosemary stock; place the whole branch on the cookie sheet. No oil is needed; they will not stick.
Turn the oven on to 185 or 200 F. In the case of chives; it will only take about 1 to 2 hours to finish the process. They will feel a little soft in places when you take them out but the next step will finish them. Take the cookie sheet and place on the counter until cool. They should be dry at that time.
Store in an air tight container which should keep for at least 6 to nine months until your new crop is at hand.

For Rosemary or other stocky, woody type herbs like Sage, put the whole stock on the cookie sheet and let dry for at least 4 hours. This will take less time if you remove the leaves first but I find that the flavor is not as intense if you do that. The Rosemary can be stored in jars as well as the sage. If sage is dried properly it can be crumbled up to fit the jar and your recipes better.

Another way to finish after the drying process is to grind the herb in an herb or coffee grinder. It’s always best to use a new one for this process. Nothing is more disappointing than tasting coffee in the herbs that you have worked so hard to prepare! I use a grinder that is especially for this purpose only.

Then place in a decorative jar for storing. I like to use old herb jars or the mini ½ pint canning jars for this purpose. Don’t forget to label carefully and store in a dark cool cupboard to use in your favorite recipes.

Just think; the next time you make grandma’s famous stuffing won’t it taste wonderful to have sage from your garden for the it!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful information!
    Question: it's already getting very cold here, but there is still some catnip growing outside, would you dry them on the stems or take the leaves off? It isn't just for the cats either, I'm sure you know about how helpful it is in helping people relax & settling upset tummies. Good for menstrual cramps too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd pick the catnip by stem and hang them upside down in a place where cats can't get to them and when throughly dry; crumble and store in an airtight container. This gives the strongest herb "flavor" for the cats.....what lucky kitties! And yes it is wonderful as a calmative for all creatures. I like catnip tea myself.

    ReplyDelete