Monday, October 18, 2010

The Perfect Medicine Cabinet

When looking at the vast array of herbs in my cupboard and storage I think it looks like the herb store I work at! To people that have seen it and don’t understand how herbs work; probably think I’m a bit of a hypochondriac. This is absolutely false. The thing is; herbs work much different than traditional medicines do. So if you use only traditional meds; you will have only two or three bottles of pills to treat many types of issues. But these medicines are harsh on the body and to an herbalist like myself; very toxic.

So what does the average alternative medicine cabinet hold? I carry many of the same types of helps for body imbalances such as anti inflammatory and stomach help. I tend to get headaches and have something for that as well. I get body aches when I’ve worked beyond my normal exercise routine and a rub for that as well as sleep aids and energy boosters.

The difference with me and the average household is that the herbs; oils, flower essences and rubs I have are not as strong. They may well be more effective than over the counter meds or Rx drugs are; but they take up more room because they are not encapsulated into as small a pill form. So if I take Adrenal Support for tiredness; I take four or five of them in a day. If I need Vitamin C; I eat as many as I can in a day to knock out that cold I’m trying to get. That might be as many as 8 or 10 a day.
This means that my medicine cabinet is bigger than yours.

But although these herbs are not as concentrated; they are amazingly accurate in helping just what I want helped without damaging my liver or causing any other side effect. The most common side effect of over doing most herbs is diarrhea. Which is exactly what the body would do to eliminate anything you take too much of; such as eating 20 apples in a day. You don’t need that much fruit and what does the body do? Eliminate what it doesn’t use.

So one question I’m asked frequently is what should the average person have on hand for every day use in their cabinet?
I decided that there are several things that everyone should have in their cabinet; especially during flu season. Here is a list of suggested herbs, vitamins and other helps that I recommend. Please remember that there are other herbs that work similarly but these are my personal favorites. You might like to talk to a certified Herbalist for advice or feel free to ask me! And remember this is the list I'm using regularly at this time. This varies with the seasons and with issues of health in our home.
Please note; these are Natures Sunshine Products. This is the only company I will use.

Colds:
Citrus Bioflavonoid ( a particularly effective type of vitamin C)
VS-C ( a great help to stop viruses)
Garlic ( a powerful anti oxidant and immune booster)
Elderberry Defense ( immune booster)
L- Lysine ( an essential amino acid perfect to help cold or canker sores)
Colloidal Silver ( anti viral, anti fungal, anti bacterial)

Skin:
Silver Shield Gel ( Colloidal Silver in gel form; use as you would anti bacterial ointment)
Black Ointment ( amazing ointment used for all skin issues)
Golden Salve ( similar ointment to Black Ointment; that has an olive oil base)
Aloe Vera Gel ( perfect for sunburns; scrapes and cuts)

Stomach:
Stomach Comfort ( herbal version of ant acids; chewable)
L- Acidophilus ( a pro biotic; refrigerate after opening to keep culture alive)
Food Enzymes ( a combination of food enzymes very effective to restore flora in stomach)
Papaya Mint ( chews that work as an anti acid)
LB-X ( a mild laxative)
Gentle Move ( a bulk laxative)
Pain:
Capsicum ( the heat of Capsicum will help move toxins in the body to help inflammation dissipate in the body)
IF-C (Chinese combination of herbs formulated to stop pain)
IF ( another version of herb combination to help pain)
Everflex ( ointment formulated to help sore muscles)

Headache:
Lavender Essence ( a few drops on the back of the neck; at temples works wonders on a headache!)
Herbal Sleep ( a combination of herbs formulated to relax)
Chamomile Tea ( the perfect herb tea to soothe)

De toxifying
All Cell Detox ( a combination of herbs that will help the body eliminate poisons)
Activated Charcoal ( capsules of activated charcoal to absorb poisons and toxins)
Tiao He Cleanse (a mild cleanse to boost energy and help the liver and bowels)
Candida Clear ( a cleanse designed to rid yourself of excess Candida Albicans)
Para Cleanse (a cleanse to rid the body of parasites)

NSP also carries a large selection of men’s and women’s formulas as well as herbs especially for the younger set. It would take many blogs to mention them all so I am only putting some of what I have in this feature.

Now to those that are reading this; it seems a lot. And not everyone keeps what I have on hand but I have to say that I use these herbs regularly and I have not been to a physician in years! I use no vaccines for illness; I take no traditional medicine either to prevent it or to stop an illness in play. And yet I’m healthier than I’ve ever been!
And my husband; once a skeptic; is now handing out my cards so fast I’m always out!

So the next time you run out of aspirin or Tum’s please remember that there are great substitutes that will not cause long term damage to the body and are as close as your browser if you wish to get healthy!

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Kim! I have an old folk remedy which has been passed down in my mom's family for generations - well there are actually a lot of them, but this is the one I use most - Tea for the tummy:
    boil cinnamon bark and a little piece of clove in some water, once the water turns brown, strain it and you can add a little honey or raw sugar to sweeten but it's fine on it's own as well. Cures nausea, cramps, and a whole host of other things that cause bellyaches. Sometimes nature really is the best medicine. My grandma in Grenada was seriously asthmatic, she used to smoke a pipe filled with herbs to help her breathing, one of the herbs was mullein (sp?), which I have used when I get bronchitis. yes, smoking certain things can help your lungs! It loosens up all the gunk in your lungs so you can cough it up and get it out.
    Catnip is also smokable or drinkable and helps with tummy trouble, stress and some other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd really like to try out the silver shield ointment. Because I am still constantly washing baby bottles, my hands are chapped with horrible little cracks and cuts all over them which become painful and infected often. There are days where I'll have over a dozen band aids on my hands!
    Is the "Black Ointment" like ichtymycin also known as ichtamol (sp?)? On my dad's side of the family, my Irish grandparents always put that black stuff on everything - smells like motor oil but works wonders. It's really good for splinters that you can't get out with tweezers, just smear some stuff on and the thing works itself out of your body.
    I bet you know all the science behind why my parents' folk remedies are effective, I'd love to learn more. I am fascinated by the way you explain WHY the natural remedies you endorse work. I'm so happy you have this blog, you will really be able to help people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting Mj, I can tell you that cinnamon and clove are both "Yang" herbs meaning that they have properties to move outward from the body. So ingesting them for stomach trouble will make the irritant move. Most stomach aches are indigestion. Therefore it makes sense to use something to help the stomach move the product on through. The Silver is simple amazing. I love it so much I have it on hand for virtually any skin ailment. It works to stop any infection in it's tracks. My hubby recently poured boiling hot coffee on himself; right on his bare stomach. I rushed to get the silver and an hour later you could not see where it had spilled! I hope you eventually get a chance to use it!

    ReplyDelete