Monday, June 25, 2012

Grandma's Medicine Cabinet?

I love to work with people, seeing the transformation of health and more importantly, attitude. This attitude is not just the physical sense but really a sense that you do have control over your body, your health and ultimately, your life. In our society we are taught that others know what is best for us; from our parents, to our teachers, our physicians and even our government. This attitude is with us from the time we are at mothers breast til the day they put us in the ground. We are discouraged from thinking for ourselves, from questioning the validity of their findings. We, in a very real sense, are taught that we do NOT know what we need for good health and a long life. 
To a some degree that can be right but only in the sense that they believe what they believe; what they've been taught. So if you are from a family that uses medicine as a crutch for everything from a bee stings to heart disease; then you will run to the medicine cabinet or physician for the “cure”. And that’s right, right??  Well that depends.

What if you are from a family of long traditions of using herbs and essential oils to help the body? What if using comfrey on a wound is what your grandmother did? What if your mother had an aloe plant growing in her windowsill for burns in the kitchen? If that is what was a normal part of your upbringing then that is what you would do right?

This is the idea I’m trying to instill in others. That the windowsill aloe is an amazing help for the body; that we can treat a burn and heal it before having a serious wound that needs medical attention. 


I personally have used aloe for many years. I first got an example of its amazing properties of healing when I burned myself so badly on a motorcycle tailpipe that it took all the skin from a patch on my leg the size of a small plate.  The burn was serious enough to cause great pain and in my instance got the attention of an alternative healer. She had me put three slices of whole aloe, cut side down on the burn and wrap lightly with a gauze. I was told to not take it off for three days.
Not only did it stop the pain instantly; it healed my skin so thoroughly that I even got the hair to grow back with no visible scarring. This burn is over 30 years old and now I can see a slight darkening of the area of it but no other sign is there. How many medical practices can brag that they can heal a third degree burn to this amount? I know of no traditional healing practice that can heal skin that is this damaged.

This is the idea that I try to instill in my clients and people that I teach in class. We have things on our earth that are able to heal beyond traditional medicine.  And by that I mean we have things that allow our BODY to heal itself. Because that is how this works. Aloe has anti- bacterial, viral, and fungal properties. It is astringent but also has a mucus quality that allows drying while still protecting the skin from drying out too much and causing a break in the skin. Its gel is thick enough to protect and has a cooling property that draws heat from the affected area. These things all work wonderfully on any wound; but especially a burn.

So today I want you to think of any time that you may have used a “natural” remedy for an injury or illness. Thing about how you came to use this help and why you think it worked or not. Chances are it came from your mom or a relative and chances are it works great. Then thank God that He put it here for you to use and remember. There ARE alternatives that work; you just need to know where to look!
Comfrey
Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera Center

No comments:

Post a Comment